Sunday, January 10, 2010

what is sexy?

Sexy. Its a topic that is always on my mind, and frankly the more things I post and the more you read you will realize my mind is wired way more like a guy when it comes to all things racy. Here's my issue with "sexy". It seems to stop at certain sizes. I agree a woman who has a small waist and hips, is tall with beautiful hair is a sight to behold. But that's also a limited reality. Many, many women are of average heights and sizes. lumpy and svelte. round and sweet. So my question is, why does sexy end at XL?
For example, not that long ago I was in search of something...lace like to wear. Every site I went to, Victoria Secret included ends sexy at XL. Maybe I'm just over that size..don't I have the right to feel as sexy as the size 2? I think that's what irritates me. Companies making a decision for me on where sexy begins and ends. Because I am curvy and volumptous I don't deserve to have the same fun as everyone else? It's bullshit. Take VS for example - they could very easily put out a quality line of plus size lingerie and make an absolute killing. But they don't. They are selling an image that doesn't apply to all. Only to some. I'm aware they are selling fantasy, but not everyone fantasizes the same way...or about the same people. ;)
Don't get me wrong, get in shape, lose weight all those things apply, but for many women, they are energetic, they work out, they're healthy...but they aren't small framed and never will be. They deserve to feel as sexy as everyone else.
I guess the bottom line is that I feel sexy in my mind. I know it, but I want to be able to display it as well.
That should be applauded, not ignored. ;)

2 comments:

  1. You might be interested in the tumblr me, Peter and Bassim run called "Weighty"

    We talk a lot about body acceptance. www.weighty.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete